Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thanks for the New Song, Lord!

"He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."
Psalm 40:3

I love today right now! The sun is shining, and the air feels so perfectly soft. I've kind of been caught up in the wonder of the simplicity of a peaceful, beautiful day. It seems so effortless for the Lord to create and maintain such balance and splendor. He's Something Special!

Days like today are harmonious to me. All things seem to flow right out of His heart for us to take hold. I am reminded, though, of how the day began. I woke up early, way early, and started running--to work out, to school, to mom's in order to check on her house while she's away, to errands, back home for a shower, and off again. I got honked at by a big truck who greatly and passionately opposed my decision to change lanes, (Oops, I didn't mean to offend.); I got locked out of my mom's house with my car keys and cell phone inside; I ran over 2 or 3 curbs--not uncommon for me, (Don't know why but think it's a mental spatial deficit), but still frustrating since I just got new tires; and I got hurt feelings because my fifteen year old asked me to drive faster and scrutinized my choice of drop-off location, like it was too close to the door or something. (So, it must be official; I am not the coolest mom around. Shoot!) All little things, not such a big deal, but this gal who has a tough time mustering up the tears when they are completely appropriate and even invited, fought back the tears this morning. (And, I guess the hormonal combination on hand today wasn't helping either!)

Oh, but then, guess what? The Lord stepped right into my day. I mean, He was there all along, but just at the right time, (Is there any other kind of time with Him? No!), He played a new song for me. You know those times when you can barely hear a song playing in the background, but that's just enough to draw you in? That happened when I left the car wash. This sweet, little, melancholy, yet piercing song just jumped into my heart.
The Lord speaks to me so very often through music. I can carry a decent tune much of the time, but I can't play a lick of any instrument. (Oh, not true. I took a guitar class at Baylor many years ago and used to torture my roommates with my acoustic version of "Rocka My Soul." Poor them, but I made an "A" in the class, for effort alone, I'm sure.) I love a precious melody, though, and I appreciate when individuals gather up their gifts and collectively give glory to the Lord by exercising those gifts through song. I even hear the Lord sometimes when people don't recognize that the particular musical gift they are using is from Him. He just moves me through me music, and my response usually is to worship Him.
So today, He gave me this song that touched the very depth of me. The Lord set it before me and gave me ears to hear. He turned my day around, just like He turned me world around many years ago now. The words in this song are so honest and real. When I heard it, I felt kinship, and the yearning within in me for a time made so much sense. I know I will continue to desire perfection and completion; I will keep reaching, as Paul says, to lay hold of that of which Christ Jesus took hold of for me. (Philippians 3:12) But, I know Hope is coming. He Who called me is faithful. In the meantime, I have some beautiful days to enjoy and a new song to keep singing, every breath unto Him, my Lord and Savior.
C.S Lewis Song
by
Brook Fraser

If I find in myself desires nothing in this world can satisfy,
I can only conclude that I was not made for here.
If the flesh that I fight is at best only light and momentary,
Then of course I'll feel nude when to where I'm destined, I'm compared.
[CHORUS]
Speak to me in the light of the dawn.
Mercy comes with the morning.
I will sigh and with all creation groan,
as I wait for Hope to come for me.
Am I lost or just less found?
On the straight or on the roundabout of the wrong way?
Is this a soul that stirs in me, is it breaking free, wanting to come alive?
'Cause my comfort would prefer for me to be numb
And avoid the impending birth of who I was born to become.
[CHORUS]
[BRIDGE]
For we, we are not long here.
Our time is but a breath, so we better breathe it.
And I, I was made to live, I was made to love, I was made to know You.
Hope is coming for me.
Hope, He's coming

1 comment:

Sharon Sloan said...

Wow....just listened to the song! That is great! Thanks for sharing it!

Rejoicing with you that He gave you a new song! :)