Friday, September 5, 2008

The Difficulty of Obedience

"For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want."
Romans 7: 18-19


For days, ok weeks and maybe months, I have felt that nagging, little nudge of the Lord beckoning me to complete a certain task. I hate to use the word nagging; however, it seems appropriate, because it is so often the opposite of what my flesh is really wanting to do. Even still, that nagging seems to have purpose, and underneath it, I know there's something new--something worthwhile, a new discovery, hidden treasure, a lesson learned, and an open door. What may seem, at times to me, a nagging nudge is really His precious, gentle, nail-scarred hand moving me forward to that next place for which I am longing and for which I have been praying. Why do I wrestle so stubbornly against Him and then accuse Him of ignoring me? Oh my, I am such a big baby!

All this time, I have been asking Him the same question over and over again. He keeps answering me in one way or another with the very same answer, but I keep on asking, thinking that quite possibly that answer could change. In fact, He humors me by answering me occasionally before I ever voice my question, because, you know, He already knew the question and already had the answer before I even directed the question to Him initially. (Whew...that's a simple concept that I can make complex in a hurry!) So, what's the question...."What do You want me to do, Lord?" How many times has He heard that one?

I kind of think that He has been answering that question for Me for years, just for this very season in my life. I am wondering why is it so difficult to digest His answer when it is really the answer for which I have been hoping. Maybe it means I have to get busy and take ownership of the gifts He has deposited within me; possibly it means that I may have to wade the shores of criticism or experience uncomfortable amounts of rejection--both of which I would love to gracefully pass over. It may mean that I have to intentionally install new levels of discipline in my life, which means giving up something else that delights me. I really do not know why I struggle so except for my flesh, but I do know that the yearning in me will not cease until I choose to walk in obedience.

The thing is...He is not being mean at all, not in the least. He is so nice and incredibly patient with me that I can hardly stand it, but He is also patient enough to wait steadily and quietly on me in this place until I choose to step up and step out. He's a bit stubborn, too, but in a faith-building, fruit-bearing, very effective kind of way.

So, then, here I am, trying to be His obedient little girl. I feel like I have nothing to offer. I feel embarrassed that it has taken me so long to surrender. I feel uncreative and unworthy of the task. I feel scared of getting any type of response or not getting any response at all. I feel emptied, because my flesh has been crucified to the cross of my own affliction but of His own redemption; I feel full, because when my flesh is poured out, His Spirit fills me up. I feel free, because there's nothing like the peace that rushes in when I trust Him with all things, great and small. I feel loved, because I am, forever and always in Christ--in obedience and disobedience. Oh, but how great is the sweetness of His presence when we walk in obedience, abiding in His tender love and care!

The commission God gave me....to write, to start here on this blog and share my heart. Am I such a goofball or what? Yep, it's true, but I am reminded by His Spirit whispering softly yet ever so authoritatively in my ear that I, too, am more than a conqueror in Christ Jesus! Thank You, sweet Savior!

20 comments:

Antique Mommy said...

Yay! I'm the first commenter! Congratulations on starting a blog!

Lovely lovely thoughts and so eloquently expressed. Will be checking back!

jenkon said...

Oh Jen...I believe that this is the perfect thing for you! (or you are perfect for it....whichever!) Every December I anxiously await your Christmas card because each year your letter lifts me up, restores my faith and gives me hope. Now I can get that more than once a year! What a gift!
Love you!

Mary Kay said...

Woo Hoo! Welcome to the world of blogging! You will see how freeing this is and also fun to write about the events going on in your life...and fun for those who are not around on a daily basis to catch up! love you much!

Christie Penn said...

I am so excited that you have found an outlet to share your love for the Lord and your walk with others. You have been given a great gift and an exceptional place of influence and you have much wisdom to share. It will only get greater as you live life and walk obediently with HIM. I am so excited because many women need to know what you know about God...that HE LOVES THEM, DELIGHTS IN THEM and wants to SPEND TIME WITH THEM. Ahhh, Jen, how he loves to SHOW off through you! THE LORD MUST BE DELIGHTED at your obedience.....you are precious to me!! I love you, Christie

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! I'm excited to read more in this spot.

Blessings,
Jill

karenz said...

You are such a sweet daughter of the Lord. Look out Beth Moore. You go girl!!!!

Karla Pogue said...

Praise the Lord you are taking this step of faith to use your God given gift of writing and encouraging others to the Lord!!! I'm so proud of you. I echo so many of the comments made thus far. You always spur me on towards the Lord whenever we talk or spend time together. That is a true sister in Christ there my friend. His plan is unfolding before our very eyes! Love you so much my sweet sister...

Melissa Terry said...

What a gift to all of us! I am so excited to hear what God is speaking to you, the things He is doing in your life, and to have a glimpse of your beautiful heart.

Thank you...

Kim Fox said...

Thanks so much for sharing this blog with me it was just beautiful! What a beautiful sweet spirit you have I am looking forward to reading more of what the Holy spirit has for you ! Miss you ! Kim

Tammy Adams said...

Jen, Thank you for sending me the link to your blog. You, my dear, have a gift in communicating your heart through words and your heart always brings God glory! So, this seems a perfect match. I will look forward to reading more. My prayers are with you. Blessings!
Tammy

wendy shabay said...

Jen, AWESOME! I am so proud of you! You have such an amazing talent and know exactly how to lift someone up. From the moment I see your handwriting on something, I immediatly know it will be encouraging, perfectly worded and thoughtful beyond all expectations. You've spent your life supporting your friends and family, so it's refreshing to see YOU following your passion and using the amazing gift God has given you. I'm horrible at reading blogs, facebook, emails or anything that requires getting on the computer outside of work (or basically anything that requires sitting still for that matter)...but I will try. I'll take all the wisdom I can get. I love you, Wendy

Margaret said...

Awesome! I have always know God has given you a special gift to share His Truth. May you continue to listen to Him and follow the Spirit's promptings while communicating to many.
Love and blessings!
Jer. 29:11-13

Tonia said...

I love you my sweet friend! I am so proud of you for your obedience. FINALLY, you have written the words that will take you on to the next journey! I cant wait to see what God will do with his daughter. I love the sweet way you share your heart!
I am proud of you my sister friend!

brenda said...

Jen

I am smiling. I have to tell you because you can't see it. I am still wanting you and Leslie to come to our church and share. I am making lots of connections with College girls. Please tell me when you can come share. We are waiting.

Meg said...

Very cool Miss Jen. I must confess that I don't know much about blogging but had my daughter help me. Go figure. What a neat beautiful thing you are doing. Bravo, bravo, bravo or should I say encore, encore, encore!

Evette said...

Jen, how I love your sweet heart for the Lord. You have blessed my life for so many years and I love that He planned so long ago for us to be friends. Can't wait to read more and see what the Lord has to say to you and through you. Thank you for always encouraging me and reminding me of His great love and grace.
Evette

linda constantino said...

Praise the Lord!!! How exciting for you to respond to the Lord's call on your life!! I just heard a believer say yesterday that we worship the Lord when we use our talents and do what the Lord has called us to do. So there you are!! I came to realize your gift at the Orchard Hill Brunch, years ago. So this blesses me out of my socks, to see you stepping out in faith and including me in the process. It broke my heart when you left Pittsburgh for Texas, year-round, since I wouldn't have the same opportunities to fellowship with you. Now, I feel like we are back in the same city. Thank you Jesus!! After reading your first blog, I couldn't help but giggle a bit. Years ago, I remember Tommy proudly saying that "writing" was your gift. So, is he elbowing you with, "I told you so!" I know I am! LOL Love ya all bunches, Miss Linda

Tracy said...

Well Jen I have known you for 30+ years and you have ALWAYS had the gift to gab. What a blessing that you have now come full circle and began to write!!

When I read your thoughts I hear your sweet voice, so precious and passionate for our Lord.

Hugs!!

rallen said...

Jen, as always you inspire me to be more than I am. its been a hard sesaon of my life and sometimes I just want to give up, but somehow God knows how to use you in my life with your wisdom and your realness, I love you so very much, Rhonda

Unknown said...

My sweet sis!! The Lord has gifted you with peace and the ability to reach out to others and give them peace...Just reading your blessed words makes me feel as if I'm listening to an angel speaking. May God continue to give you insight and bless you richly in His divine love and grace...You make my world a better place and you make it a better place for all those who surround you... I'm so grateful to merciful God for you in my life! Love you bunches!!